Merry Go Round Pre-School is a magical, joyful place where children are free to run, play and discover, and be loved and accepted for who they are.
Opening Times and Session Prices
Merry Go Round is open Monday to Friday from 9.15am until 3.15pm. Children can attend mornings, afternoons or all day (subject to availability).
- Morning session: 9.15am to 12.15pm
- Lunch Club: 12.15pm to 1.15pm
- Afternoon session: 1.15pm to 3.15pm
The hourly rate is £3.75
We take children between the ages of 2 and 5 years of age. We accept Early Years Entitlement Funding and those children entitled to the extended 30 hours funding in partnership with Devon County Council. This funding starts the term after the child’s third birthday and can give you access to up to 15 or 30 hours of childcare . We also accept 2gether funding for eligible 2 year olds, which could also give you access to 15 hours of childcare. We belong to various Employee Child-Care Vouchers schemes – please ask for more details.
- Provide a nurturing, child-led, supportive environment which focuses on the emotional wellbeing of the children in order to maximise their development
- Celebrate the individuality of every child and to engage them in ways that are appropriate and meaningful to them
- Encourage a play-based learning environment which supports healthy brain development, curiosity, exploration and confidence
- Foster a family-like atmosphere which encourages relationships, kindness, empathy and compassion
- Provide regular opportunities for learning in the outdoors through weekly forest school sessions, beach trips and outings, as well as daily use of the preschool’s natural outdoor space
- Encourage involvement in the wider local community through visits to other groups within the community, regular fundraisers, organised beach cleans and other community events
At Merry Go Round Preschool we have a very strong belief in the importance of learning through play, particularly in the outdoors. Being in the outdoors has all sorts of benefits for mental health and wellbeing, as well as utilising the natural environment to encourage creativity, exploration and discovery.
Merry Go Round has a fantastic garden which has been carefully designed to offer different challenges to our children. It includes a substantial outside canopy area, a mud kitchen, a summer house, vegetable plot and a small wood that are all used whatever the weather. We are also grateful to The Naturesave Trust who specialise in funding environmental, conservation and community renewable energy projects throughout the UK. The Naturesave Trust provided funding for our new pond area.
Merry Go Round is lucky to have our own Forest School Leader who runs a weekly Forest School programme which we use to boost the personal, social and emotional development of children from the age of 3. Forest School involves being outside in the woods exploring, playing and learning through seized opportunities and experiences. These experiences gradually challenge the child, building on his / her abilities and knowledge, opening new doors to the world outside, releasing creativity, curiosity and awareness of others. This helps children to become more confident, balanced individuals who are motivated by the joy of learning and discovery. Children are welcome to join Forest School as soon as they can manage tramping across rough ground whilst they are wearing full waterproofs.
We are fortunate to have access to a local site nearby to use for our sessions. This means that the children gain the experience of an exciting outdoor environment, and allows us to run our Merry Tots Toddler Group back at the setting. During the summer months we make use of our stunning local coastline by including some Beach School sessions in the programme.
Forest School sessions are different to other kinds of Early Years provision, and your child may well come home a little muddy. This is usually a sign they have had great fun!
Merry Go Round is very proud of its Forest School provision, and the genuine and unique play and learning opportunities that arise from spending time outside with skilled practitioners. If you wish to attend a session with your child, or become a regular volunteer, you are very welcome to give it a try – just get in touch.