Skip to main content
SouthHams.com Logo search icon

Residents left with no O2 signal for weeks

FeaturedNew
SA Updated
Residents left with no O2 signal for weeks

Blog Tags

Search by Tag
Select existing or new tags and apply to your post.

Residents have been left without O2 signal for weeks after a mobile phone mast in Salcombe has been broken, including taxi companies who rely on phone enquiries. 

Rob McMahon of Totally Taxis, Salcombe, contacted us to let us know that they had been dealing with a signal outage in the Salcombe area for a couple of weeks, impacting not only O2 customers, but Sky Mobile, Tesco Mobile and Vodafone. 

Rob said he had noticed his takings and volume of calls is "seriously lower than the August norm" and said that O2 had been "dragging their heels sorting it out". 

Many traders and companies in the South Hams rely on July and August business to carry them through the rest of the year. 

We posted on social media about who else had been caught up in the outage and were met with a flurry of people also struggling with the same problem. 

Helen said: "We have been struggling with this for several weeks and have been told that a phone mast isn’t working. The problem is that many providers use O2 networks so it is not just those who have contracts with O2 who are affected."

Ellen said: "Yes [Kingsbridge] and South Pool for last three weeks. They said a mast was needing maintenance but its taking longer than they said!"

Terry said it had been going on "for weeks now" and was "very frustrating", while Lara called it a "total nightmare" and the delays getting it fixed were "ridiculous".

We spoke to O2 whose spokesperson said: “We apologise to customers in the Salcombe area who may be experiencing intermittent issues with their service. We’re actively working with our infrastructure partner, who manages mobile masts in the area, to repair a nearby site and restore service for customers.”

“In the meantime, we’d recommend customers enable Wi-Fi calling on their device so they’re able to make and receive calls and texts over any broadband network.”

We spoke to Vodafone, who own the mast, over the weekend and today (Monday, 17 August) they have said that the "service is now restored in Salcombe" but people were still getting texts from O2 to say they were still working on getting the issue resolved.

Rob concluded saying: "It's back but not very good."

We hope it improves for everyone struggling very quickly. In the meantime you can contact O2 on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.and some local residents have said they have been offered discounts on their bill due to the issues, so contact your service provider. 

 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

 

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
Comments

You might also be interested in

Wildfire next to the A38
Category: General News
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue crews battled a fire on the side of the A38 just near the Dean Prior and Buckfastleigh junction....
Students across the South Hams celebrate A-Level results
Category: General News
Schools across the South Hams have been celebrating their exam results. 
Kingsbridge road will reopen tomorrow - three weeks early!
Category: General News
Kingsbridge Town Council is planning a "small community celebration" to mark the reopening of the bottom of Fore Street, which has been closed since...
Ivybridge car park works improve accessibility and market opportunities
Category: General News
Car parks and market spaces in Ivybridge have been improved this summer, as part of South Hams District Council's ongoing "commitment to invest in...
Devon & Cornwall Police "boosts frontline presence for busy summer period"
Category: General News
Devon & Cornwall Police has introduced a "comprehensive summer policing plan to help keep communities safe" during one of the busiest times of the...
Appeal following indecent picture taken in Plymstock McDonald’s
Category: General News
Police are appealing for help from the public to help identify a man in connection with reports of an indecent photograph being taken of...

Have you got some important news, a special offer, a promotion or an event you'd like to tell us about? Contact us today and we'll get the word out! We'll share on our social media and include within our popular monthly newsletter.