Skip to main content
SouthHams.com Logo search icon

Two taken to hospital after gas leak in Totnes salon

SA Updated
Two taken to hospital after gas leak in Totnes salon

Blog Tags

Search by Tag
Select existing or new tags and apply to your post.

Two women were taken to hospital as a precaution after a leak from a fridge in a high street salon in Totnes.  

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service were called at about 8.40am on Friday, 16 July, to reports of a smell of gas coming from a property on Fore Street, Totnes.

Two women entered the salon in the morning and were alerted to a problem when their eyes began to get sore and itchy. 

 

The fire crews used two breathing apparatus and a gas detector to locate the source, which was determined to be caused by a faulty fridge in the Stylistics Unisex Hairdressing and Beauty Salon. 

The fridge was removed from the property and positive pressure ventilation fans used to ventilate the property.

Incident Commander Darren Hodge was quoted as saying that the fridge leak "most likely happened overnight and that two women have been taken to hospital as a precaution". 

Image Dick Evans 

Photos

Two taken to hospital after gas leak in Totnes salon

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
Comments

You might also be interested in

Totnes students complete Ten Tors Challenge
Category: General News
Students from King Edward VI Community College in Totnes, part of Education South West, completed the Ten Tors challenge this weekend. ...
Police are asking children to choose the official name of the new police tractor
Category: General News
The Rural Affairs team at Devon and Cornwall Police are asking children to choose the official name of the newest addition to the rural...
South West Water issues 'boil water notice' after Cryptosporidium has been found in the South Hams
Category: General News
Cryptosporidium has been found in water Kingswear and Galmpton, as well as the wider Brixham area. 
Yealmpton's Devon Air Ambulance Community Landing Site is now operational
Category: General News
Devon Air Ambulance's Community Landing Sites Team are starting Spring 2024 with a flourish and growing their network of night landing sites with a...
Work at Salcombe Hangar Marsh is completed, with the site reopening this month
Category: General News
Work to enhance Salcombe’s Hangar Marsh nature reserve has been completed, with part of the site reopening to the public this month. ...
SHDC says it is "improving the energy efficiency of homes across the South Hams"
Category: General News
South Hams District Council says it is "helping residents to improve the energy efficiency their homes", one its "top priorities".