Skip to main content
SouthHams.com Logo search icon

Dog is rushed to the vets after being bitten by an adder

SA Updated
Dog is rushed to the vets after being bitten by an adder

Blog Tags

Search by Tag
Select existing or new tags and apply to your post.

A cocker spaniel named Henry was rushed to the vets after being bitten by an adder near Little Dartmouth. 

Henry's owner, Dartmouth resident Robin Springett, said that he was walking the South West Coast Path near Little Dartmouth on Monday, 20 April, when 22-month-old Henry was bitten by an adder, leaving "two distinct puncture wounds on his nose".

The adder that bit Henry - Robin Springett

He took him straight to the vets, where he stayed overnight. Robin said: "He was very poorly within a few minutes of the bite and had to be carried back to the car". 

If being bitten on the face and swelling up like a balloon wasn't bad enough, it looks like Henry was also allergic to the antivenom serum too, but is "on the mend". 

Henry after being picked up from the vets on Tuesday morning - Robin Springett


Adders are the UK's only venomous snake, and according to the Wildlife Trust "the shy adder can be spotted basking in the sunshine in woodland glades and on heathlands". They go on to say "an adder bite is a very rare occurrence, and can be painful, but is almost never fatal". 

The adder is easily identifiable by the diamond pattern down its back and is a protected species as a vital part of our ecosystem.

The Wildlife Trust website says: "The adder's poison is generally of little danger to humans: an adder bite can be very painful and cause a nasty inflammation, but is really only dangerous to the very young, ill or old. If bitten, medical attention should be sought immediately, however.

"Adders are secretive animals and prefer to slither off into the undergrowth than confront and bite humans and domestic animals; most attacks happen when they are trodden on or picked up. Instead, they use their venom to immobilise and kill their prey of small mammals, nestlings and lizards." 

We're glad that Henry is on the mend, let's hope he's learnt his lesson and keeps his nose away from sunbathing reptiles in the future! 

 

User comments

There are no user comments for this listing.
Comments

You might also be interested in

Totnes students complete Ten Tors Challenge
Category: General News
Students from King Edward VI Community College in Totnes, part of Education South West, completed the Ten Tors challenge this weekend. ...
Police are asking children to choose the official name of the new police tractor
Category: General News
The Rural Affairs team at Devon and Cornwall Police are asking children to choose the official name of the newest addition to the rural...
South West Water issues 'boil water notice' after Cryptosporidium has been found in the South Hams
Category: General News
Cryptosporidium has been found in water Kingswear and Galmpton, as well as the wider Brixham area. 
Yealmpton's Devon Air Ambulance Community Landing Site is now operational
Category: General News
Devon Air Ambulance's Community Landing Sites Team are starting Spring 2024 with a flourish and growing their network of night landing sites with a...
Work at Salcombe Hangar Marsh is completed, with the site reopening this month
Category: General News
Work to enhance Salcombe’s Hangar Marsh nature reserve has been completed, with part of the site reopening to the public this month. ...
SHDC says it is "improving the energy efficiency of homes across the South Hams"
Category: General News
South Hams District Council says it is "helping residents to improve the energy efficiency their homes", one its "top priorities".