not a member? Join
Dartmouth Coastguard Rescue Team were called out to Blackpool Sands where a young boy had suffered a "severe allergic reaction to jellyfish stings".
rinse the affected area with seawater (not fresh water)
remove any spines from the skin using tweezers or the edge of a bank card
soak the area in very warm water (as hot as can be tolerated) for at least 30 minutes – use hot flannels or towels if you cannot soak it
take painkillers like paracetamol or ibuprofen
do not use vinegar
do not pee on the sting
do not apply ice or a cold pack
do not touch any spines with your bare hands
do not cover or close the wound
Would you like to feature your business in this section?
* The information contained on this page is correct to the best of our knowledge, if you notice anything that you know to be incorrect or misleading, please contact us.